Welcome, visitor! [ Login

How Can I Obtain a Credit Report?

Uncategorized March 23, 2017


If you have been denied credit, insurance, or employment because of information that was supplied by a credit reporting agency, the Fair Credit Reporting Act requires the report recipient to give you the name and address of the credit reporting agency that supplied the information within 30 days after the credit was denied. If you contact that agency within 60 days of receiving the denial notice, you can receive a free copy of your credit report.


If you simply want a copy of your report, call the credit reporting agencies listed in the Yellow Pages under “credit” or “credit rating and reporting.” Call each credit report agency listed since more than one agency may have a file on you, some with different information. You may have to pay a reasonable charge for each report.


Three large national credit bureaus supply most credit reports: Experian, Equifax, and Trans Union. You may want to contact each of them for a copy of your report.


Experian (Formerly TRW ) http://www.experian.com

P.O. Box 949

Allen, TX 75013-0949




Equifax Credit Information Services, Inc. http://www.equifax.com

P.O. Box 740241

Atlanta, GA 30374-0241

(800) 685-1111

$8 Fee


Trans Union Corporation http://www.transunion.com

Trans Union Consumer Relations

760 West Sproul Road, P.O. Box 390

Springfield, PA 19064-0390

(800) 916-8800

$8 Fee


When you show proper identification, the credit reporting agency must then disclose to you all its information and identify the sources of that information. The law requires the credit bureau to disclose the “nature and substance” of the information in the file. You must also be informed about anyone who obtained reports for employment purposes in the past two years, plus the names of all others who requested credit reports or other information about you in the past six months.


A consumer reporting agency will send a free report once in any 12-month period upon request of a consumer if the consumer is unemployed and intends to apply for employment in the 60-day period beginning on the date on which the certification is made, is a recipient of public welfare assistance, or has reason to believe that the file on the consumer at the agency contains inaccurate information due to fraud.



No Tags

61 total views, 0 today


Exit mobile version